SPRING SHOW 2019
The Alpaca Ontario Spring Show is an annual event which brings alpacas from across the country to compete in Halter, Walking Fleece and Group Classes. The weekend also includes educational opportunities for new and experienced alpaca breeders, as well as activities for the general public.
The show is in its 18th year, and this will be our 2nd year at the West Niagara Agricultural Centre.
April 27 · 9am – 5pm
April 28 · 9am – 2pm
Free to the public (and parking is also free!)
- Demonstrations of shearing, fibre sorting, felting, spinning, dyeing and needlecrafts.
- Walk an alpaca and other interactive displays are free to the general public
- Fibre vendors selling roving, yarn and felting supplies
- Unique vendors with handcrafted products
- Free educational seminars for the general public as well as alpaca producers
- Fibre Arts displays
- Mary-Ann English Spin-off results
- Information booths
- A chance for the public to learn about alpacas and alpaca fibre
- An opportunity for alpaca breeders to network, promote their businesses and improve their skills
The Annual General Meeting is Friday, April 26th
- Halter Show
- Walking Fleece Show
- Jill Marcellus – Halter Show
- Wini Lebreque – Walking Fleece show
Saturday Night Social
Come to the marketplace and explore what alpaca fibre can do. Walk an alpaca, or watch alpaca shearing and see felt being made.
Fibre Arts Competition
Our Fibre Arts Competition is an annual event which showcases the the work of talented fibre artists. There are 6 categories on display, which are judged on the Friday before the show. All of the entries are on display for the weekend, and there is a People’s Choice award that the public are invited to vote in. The People’s Choice winner is announced on Sunday.
Mary-Ann English Spinoff
The Mary-Ann English Spin-off is a competition where alpaca producers send 50g of their best fibre in and Master Spinners spin and judge the fibre against entries of the same colour and age. The Spinners provide a score card with comments, so the producers can see in detail how the Spinners assessed their fibre. This competition is an excellent way for alpaca producers to assess their breeding program when it comes to the fibre they are producing.
The spun skeins of yarn with knitted swatches, as well as the comments and ribbon results are on display for the whole weekend in the Livestock Building.
Our annual photo contest is a PEOPLE’S CHOICE contest. Anyone can enter their photos in the contest. The photos are on display all weekend in the Livestock Building, and the public can vote for their favourite photos. The winner is announced on Sunday.